The Quality Assurance Committee administers the Quality Assurance (QA) Program, which promotes continuing competence and continuing professional improvement among kinesiologists. The QA program is intended to be educational and supportive, and all kinesiologists must participate.
The QA Committee achievements for 2015/2016 included:
- Administration of the annual self-assessment for 1477 kinesiologists;
- Launch of the peer and practice assessment process, with 11 assessments conducted;
- Recruitment and appointment of five new peer assessors;
- Development of a competency enhancement matrix and the Competency Enhancement Policy;
- Implementation of the QA Mentorship Program;
- Creation of content for the ethics and professionalism e-learning module;
- Development of a business case to create a sexual abuse prevention e-learning module; and
- Creation of a new video explaining nature of practice.
Self-assessment is the foundation on which kinesiologists plan their professional development for the year. Self-assessment helps kinesiologists reflect on their practice in relation to the practice standards and essential competencies, and helps identify areas of knowledge, skill and judgment to improve. In 2015/2016, 92% of members completed their self-assessment on time.
Peer and Practice Assessment
The peer and practice assessment (PPA) is an educational opportunity designed to assess kinesiologistsâ€™ knowledge, skill and judgment, and to help them identify areas of strength and opportunities for improvement within their practice. Each year, up to one percent of kinesiologists are randomly selected to participate in a PPA. Where the assessment identifies areas for improvement, kinesiologists are directed to participate in competency enhancement.
PPA selection profile
|Deferrals and exemptions granted||3|
|Total randomly selected||14|
Top areas for improvement identified through the PPA:
- Record keeping
- Developing patient/client-centred recommendations, plans of care and/or exercise prescription
- Confidentiality and privacy
- Communicating in a timely, accurate and effective manner
PPA decisions/outcomes (as of March 31, 2016)
|No further action||6|
|Competency enhancement- Demonstrated Change Report||2|
|Competency enhancement- Mentorship Program||1|